Position Title: Maintenance Mechanic
Reports To: Maintenance Supervisor
Performs general maintenance including, but not limited to, carpentry, flooring repairs, electrical, and plumbing that does not require a license, patching, painting, appliance repair, grounds work including snow removal, and sheetrock repair. Conducts preventive maintenance routine diagnostic tests and performs repair and equipment maintenance functions.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
· Performs general mechanical tasks including minor electrical, plumbing, heating and appliance repairs as assigned and allowed by local code in apartment units as well as common areas.
· Performs preventive maintenance and routine engineering checks in all mechanical and boiler rooms; maintains logs, work orders and other documentation.
· Performs daily/weekly walkthroughs of entire building and grounds to observe, list and report areas in need of services and/or repairs, and performs services and/or repairs as scheduled or assigned.
· Maintains inventory control systems to ensure adequate supplies at all times.
· Responds to medical and fire emergencies along with Resident Services staff.
· Performs snow removal.
· Performs grounds maintenance duties, such as mowing, weeding, sweeping, and sanding.
· Performs light carpentry and interior/exterior painting.
· Ensures JCHE work practices are safe and in compliance with JCHE standards and government regulations at all times.
· Performs maintenance tasks required to maintain systems and aesthetics of building complex.
May also perform one or more of the following functions:
· Prepares vacant apartments for new residents refreshing apartment unit as needed; patches, paints, repairs, and/or replaces cabinets, countertops, fixtures, appliances, etc.
· Completes materials requisitions according to JCHE standards.
· Conducts orientation for new and/or existing employees on maintenance tasks.
· Reports all unsafe practices observed to management to help ensure JCHE work practice are safe and in compliance with company standards.
· Set up rooms for meetings and activities.
· Cleans and performs other related janitorial duties, as requested.
· Patrols parking lot and tags unauthorized vehicles.
· Provides contractors and vendors with service access to mechanical areas and apartments, as needed.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· May rotate as building mechanic to other JCHE buildings, as assigned.
· May set up rooms for meetings or activities.
· Removes trash.
· Performs additional duties, as assigned.
PREPARATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· High School diploma. Post-secondary technical training preferred.
· Minimum 2 years of hands-on experience.
· Hoisting License preferred.
· Knowledge of building trades, mechanics, and/or building maintenance.
· Knowledge of plumbing, heating, HVAC, and electrical systems.
· Knowledge of Energy Management Systems preferred.
· Demonstrated customer service skills.
· Strong problem solving skills, interpersonal, and communication skills.
· Basic math skills preferred.
· Ability to make repairs not requiring a license.
· Ability to work with limited supervision and as part of team.
· Fluent in English.
· Proficiency in use of computers and computerized systems, including email, work order and record keeping systems.
· Comfortable working with older adults.
· Willingness to learn to work with high efficiency boilers and heating plants.
· Willingness to learn about basic operation of photovoltaic systems and co-generation systems preferred.
· Valid Massachusetts’ driver’s license.
· No supervisory responsibility.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
· Frequent standing and walking.
· Ability to frequently lift and/or move objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
· Ability to safely use hand and power tools.
· Ability to operate a Bobcat.
· Ability to work outdoors in winter conditions
· Ability to provide evening, weekend and holiday emergency coverage for emergency mechanical/technical services that cannot be handled by Site Reps.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis