Position: Maintenance Mechanic, Golda Meir House
Reports To: Maintenance Supervisor
Status: Full Time, 40 hours/week, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm , for the duration of the Golda Meir House construction project, estimated to be completed by December, 2018.
Summary: As a member of a small maintenance team, the maintenance mechanic performs general maintenance as directed by Maintenance Supervisor including but not limited to; carpentry, flooring repairs, electrical, and plumbing that does not require a license, patching, painting, appliance repair, and grounds work including snow removal. Conducts preventive maintenance routine diagnostic tests, and performs repair and equipment maintenance functions. Provides Back Up Mechanic on-call coverage when office is closed, on rotating basis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
· Performs general mechanical tasks as scheduled or assigned. Performs minor electrical, plumbing, heating and appliance repairs as assigned by his/her supervisor and allowed by local code, in apartment units as well as common areas.
· Performs preventive maintenance and routine engineering checks in all mechanical and boiler rooms as scheduled or assigned, and maintains logs, work orders and other documentation as they relate to same. Time in/time out will be documented on all work orders.
· Assists in daily/weekly walkthroughs of entire building and grounds to observe, list and report any/all areas in need of services and/or repairs, and performs said services and/or repairs as scheduled or assigned by his/her supervisor.
· Prepares vacant apartments for new residents (Turn Overs) refreshing the entire apartment unit as needed; patch/paint, repair/replace cabinets, countertops, fixtures, appliances, etc.
· Maintain inventory control systems, as assigned, to ensure adequate supplies at all times.
· Shall be responsible for responding to medical and fire emergencies along with a Resident Services staff person as scheduled or assigned.
· Performs snow removal, using hand and/or power equipment-including Bobcat, as scheduled or assigned.
· Performs grounds maintenance duties, such as mowing, weeding, sweeping, sanding, and using hand and power equipment, as scheduled or assigned.
· Performs light carpentry, and interior/exterior painting as scheduled or assigned.
· Shall be responsible for demonstrating good attitude and conduct, contributing to good resident, visitor and staff relations, recognizing the importance of same.
· Ensure JCHE work practices are safe and in compliance with JCHE standards and government regulations at all times.
· Performs any and all maintenance tasks required to maintain systems and aesthetics of the building complex as assigned by his/her supervisor. Building upkeep and interior/exterior “curb appeal” is very important and must be maintained to JCHE’s high standards.
· Provide evening, weekend and holiday emergency coverage to provide emergency mechanical/technical services that cannot be handled by the Site Reps. This on-call status is shared with the Maintenance Supervisor.
· May rotate as building mechanic to other JCHE buildings as assigned by his/her supervisor.
· May be required to set up rooms for meetings or activities, assist with trash removal, and other duties as assigned.
· Other related duties as assigned.
· Education: High School diploma or equivalent; post-secondary technical training preferred.
· Must have at least two years of hands-on experience, good problem solving skills, and ability to read and write English. Some facility with numbers/math preferred.
· Requires facility in the use of computers and computerized systems, including email, work order and record keeping systems.
· Must have knowledge of building trades, mechanics, and/or building maintenance.
· Requires basic knowledge of plumbing, heating, HVAC, and electrical systems and ability to make repairs not requiring a license.
· Must be able to safely use hand and power tools, etc., and must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
· Must have a valid Massachusetts’ driver’s license.
· Must have good interpersonal and communication skills, ability to work with limited supervision and as part of team and demonstrate good customer service skills at all times.
· Must be comfortable working with older adults.
· Willingness to learn to work with high efficiency boilers and heating plants.
· Ability to obtain Hoisting License and operate Bobcat
Working Conditions/Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position requires standing and walking for long periods of time.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis
Qualified candidates should forward a cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com; by fax to (617) 912-8469, or by mail to Human Resources, JCHE, 30 Wallingford Road, Brighton, MA 02135. For further information about JCHE, see our website at www.jche.org. JCHE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.