MAINTENANCE EQUIPMENT OPERATOR
SOUTH ESSEX SEWERAGE DISTRICT, 50 Fort Avenue, Salem, MA seeks qualified applicants for the position of Maintenance Equipment Operator
Skilled technical work in operating and maintaining machinery and equipment used in the maintenance and repair of buildings, grounds and sewerage system facilities; all other related work as required.
Recommended Minimum Qualifications
- Education and Experience
- High school graduation.
- Special Requirements
- Massachusetts Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class B.
- Massachusetts Hoisting Machinery Operator’s License Class 2B.
- Knowledge, Ability and Skill
- Knowledge. Thorough knowledge of equipment used to maintain a sewerage system, buildings, grounds, and other facilities. Knowledge of construction, maintenance and repair functions.
- Ability. Ability to operate large trucks, motorized equipment, hand and power tools. Ability to maintain and evaluate simple records.
- Skill. Good communication skills, including writing and speaking English.
- Constant moderate to strenuous physical effort generally required to perform work. Frequent bending, walking, climbing, reaching, and standing. Frequently required to move (push, pull, lift or carry) objects weighing up to 60 pounds. Ability to work in confined areas for extended periods of time. Frequently required to operate motorized equipment, hand, power, and various tools requiring manual dexterity. Excellent eye sight (sharp, close, distance, color, peripheral, and depth vision) and hearing well within normal ranges.
- Works under the direct supervision of the Facilities Foreman or the Assistant Superintendent of Maintenance.
- Performs work of a mechanical nature, requiring the use of defined procedures and methods, under close supervision to keep the sewerage system facilities and maintenance machinery and equipment in good working order.
- Job Environment
- Most work is performed outdoors, with exposure to varying weather conditions and with additional exposure to loud noises, heights, toxic or caustic chemicals, fumes or airborne particles, extremes of heat and cold, near moving parts, and with a risk of electrical shock.
- Has some contact with other District staff and infrequent contact with others.
- Errors in judgment could result in injury to self or other employees, damage to buildings or equipment, and legal ramifications to the District.
- Adheres to the District's safety rules, regulations and policies.
- The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Operates sewer maintenance equipment, such as trucks, backhoes, front-end loaders, vacuum jet rodder, educator, high velocity water jet, drags, bucket machine, catch basin cleaners, portable pumps, sewer flusher, and other equipment used to maintain, clean, and unclog sanitary sewers and/or storm water facilities.
- Operates grounds maintenance equipment, such as snow plows, snow blowers, sanders, mowers, sweepers; including various lawn, tree and brush cutting tools.
- Drives and positions trucks and equipment.
- Selects proper attachments and tools for the efficient use of the equipment.
- Services, adjusts and makes minor repairs to equipment and attachments.
- Cleans maintenance equipment after maintenance is performed.
- Performs assigned duties at all facilities, such as repairing, painting, and cleaning equipment, walls, floors, snow removal, etc.
Annual Pay Rate: $40,692.87 to $55,294.05
(Starting pay rate commensurate with qualifications and experience)
Instructions to Apply: