Reporting to the Foreman of Trades, the HVAC TECHNICIAN is responsible for a wide range of maintenance duties and general repairs, monitoring and providing general up-keep, and ensuring the College facilities are maintained at a high standard, including but not limited to: all regular and routine maintenance and repair on the College’s plumbing and heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems, including following proper local and state regulations and maintaining the schools swimming pool. Acts as a backup to the Plumber as needed. The work schedule for this HVAC Technician position is Tuesday through Saturday, from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm.
This position is considered essential personnel and requires participation in an on-call rotation schedule. In addition, this position is required to participate in general snow shoveling and removal, salting, sanding, and trash pick-up as directed and as needed.
- Review and prioritize all assignments, attending immediately to emergency and urgent calls;
- Accurately and effectively read and follow plans, layouts, and written materials;
- As directed, performs various work area “walk-throughs” to survey preventative maintenance and repair needs Clean, maintain and repair boilers, furnaces, air handlers, and other plumbing controls and fixtures; performing inspections and preventative maintenance;
- Responsible for regular and routine maintenance and repair on plumbing, heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems;
- Responsible for swimming pool maintenance;
- Assists with design of new or modified plumbing and heating systems;
- Promptly responds to emergencies and follows all safety guidelines; adheres to material safety data guidelines and lock out/tag out protocol;
- Prepares requests for supplies, equipment, and material purchases from vendors including quantities and prices. May purchase as directed;
- Maintains an inventory of all tools, equipment and supplies;
- Informs supervisor and/or office staff, in a timely manner, when facilities related supplies, equipment, and material purchases are needed;
- Working knowledge of Barber Colman Network 8000 and Johnson Controls energy management systems to act as a backup to the Plumber.
GENERAL EXPECTATIONS AND DUTIES:
- It is expected that all work performed is done so in compliance with any applicable licensure regulations;
- May be asked to communicate with, and direct the work of subcontractors and vendors;
- Communicate regularly with management to meet the needs of the department;
- Under general supervision, work independently within department standard operating procedures, referring all requests to purchase to the Foreman of Trades;
- Must adhere to all safety practices and standards;
- Provides timely response to work orders and assignments;
- Perform duties independently according to broadly prescribed renovation and maintenance projects;
- Effectively completes required administrative processes on request and effectively produces required documentation and reports;
- Works collaboratively with B&G and other College employees;
- Identifies and reports any items that are in need of repair and/or pose a safety hazard at both interior and exterior of buildings to Foreman, forwarding to B&G office issues that need immediate attention;
- Responsible for keeping work area clean and safe at all times including company vehicle;
- Provides responsible and reliable coverage; must occasionally be available for off-hour emergencies;
- A reasonable amount of overtime may be required as necessary to meet the needs of the department;
- May occasionally be required to perform various grounds or trades tasks, including but not limited to moving furniture, assisting in set ups, as directed;
- Assist with other B&G functions and perform other duties as directed.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Occasionally oversee and provides hands on direction to students and temporary/casual workers as assigned.
- High school diploma, G.E.D or equivalent;
- Trades and technical schooling equivalent to 2 years in college required;
- Must have a current MA EPA Approved HVAC Technician Certification;
- A valid unrestricted Massachusetts driver's license and good driving record is required.
- Plumber’s license preferred.
- MA State Oil Burner Technician’s License preferred.
ATTRIBUTES AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Requires three (3) to five (5) years of hands-on full-time relevant commercial journey-level plumbing and heating maintenance experience. Must have overall working knowledge of general maintenance and repair operations and practices. Must have proven skills in the safe use of hand and power tools used in buildings and grounds maintenance. Other requirements include:
- Basic working knowledge on the use of computers;
- Proven effective communication skills, a high level of professionalism and strong customer service orientation;
- Must have the ability to complete required daily administrative processes;
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated history of being prompt and reliable;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Ability to be flexible in a changing fast paced environment;
- Proven record of team orientation with demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a complex environment with constantly changing priorities;
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Must be able to lift 75lbs occasionally and 50lbs often.
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders.
At the College’s discretion, the education and experience prerequisites may be excepted where the candidate can demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the College, an equivalent combination of education and experience specifically preparing the candidate for success in the position.
Employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment background checks and pre-employment physical.
Instructions to Apply:
Please apply online at https://www.curry.edu/about-us/community-resources/employment/job-opportunities for consideration. Interested Applicants must submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three professional references including complete contact information and professional titles.