This is a bargaining unit position covered by the United Healthcare Workers East, SEIU 1199
JOB SUMMARY: Working with a multi-trades staff, duties will be as assigned by the Superintendent to include, but not limited to, preventative maintenance, mechanical, and equipment repairs.
1. Responsible for fixing, upkeep and maintaining mechanical equipment, buildings, and machines. Tasks include minor plumbing work, painting, flooring repair and upkeep, general maintenance and heating and air conditioning system maintenance.
2. Ensures operation of machinery and mechanical equipment by performing preventive maintenance as assigned by supervisor.
3. Maintain preventive maintenance records on MBL equipment, including data entry of equipment attributes and maintenance of service records.
4. Responsible for maintaining assigned mechanical and facilities spaces clean, organized, free of excessive or inappropriate storage, leaks and other deficiencies.
5. Assist other trades in daily activities and projects as assigned.
6. Serve as Category I Essential Personal during emergencies. Expected to be available to prepare for a storm, provide facility protection during the storm, and take the first steps towards restoring normal operations.
7. Perform other duties as required and/or assigned.
SKILLS REQUIRED: Must have some computer literacy sufficient to perform data entry and retrieval from established programs. Must have a well-demonstrated knowledge of all trades that will be assisted. Previous successful employment in the trades field preferred. Must be self-motivated and take direction well. Proven ability to function in constantly changing environment required as well as the capacity to work independently, with minimal supervision.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: High school diploma or equivalent required, preferably from a trade school. Previous experience in a trade’s environment required.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Post-offer, pre-employment physical examination, background check and drug test required. Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license with a favorable driving record.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This position requires heavy work (exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects). Worker must be able to stand, walk, sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, push, pull, use fingertips, grasp, lift, talk, hear, taste/smell, perceive attributes of objects by touch, and perform repetitive motions. Worker is required to have visual acuity to perform an activity such as operating machines where the seeing job is at or within arm’s reach.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: This position is subject to noise, vibration, moving mechanical parts, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, chemicals, fumes, odors, dusts, gases, poor ventilation, oils, and tight quarters which could cause claustrophobia. Activities are performed both inside and outside occasionally in temperatures below 32 or above 100 degrees
The Marine Biological Laboratory is an
Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity / Disabled / Veterans Employer.
Please visit us online via link below:Job Link: