Heat and Vent (HVAC) Mechanic
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
MIT Facilities’ Repair and Maintenance seeks two heat and vent (HVAC) mechanics to repair and maintain heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration of MIT buildings and equipment.
- Inspect and test heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems to ensure proper functioning
- Operate and maintain steam heating systems, HVAC controls, gas- and oil-fired heating systems and boilers, water treatment, and refrigeration systems
- Troubleshoot, repair, and install pneumatic electronic temperature control systems
- Maintain, repair, and rebuild pumps, ice machines, air compressors, and other building systems equipment
- Receive work order assignments, order materials, and complete tasks accurately with detailed written comments provided on work orders upon completion
- Complete time entry and return work orders to supervisor on a daily basis with comments
- Perform duties in accordance with MSDAs, signage, and general instructions
- Perform scheduled preventative maintenance on building equipment, including lubricating components, changing filters, repacking valves, and adjusting and replacing belts
- Clean work areas and maintain tools and equipment
- Provide customers with information about the progress of work
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Five years’ work experience in applicable trade/field or formal controls training in mechanical operations and maintenance
- Valid driver’s license
- Knowledge of environmental rooms such as Harris Environmental
- Ability to read ladder diagrams, blueprints, and schematics
- Ability to lift weights of up to 50 lbs.
- EPA universal refrigerant recovery certificate/license
- MA oil burner license and certification
- Sheet metal license
- MA refrigeration technician certification
- Experience working in labs
- General understanding of building automation systems
MIT is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin.
Instructions to Apply:
Interested candidates may apply online at https://hr.mit.edu/careers. Please reference job number 17036 and indicate where you saw this posting.