The Greenway Conservancy is seeking a highly motivated and reliable individual for a full-time position as Maintenance Assistant. This position will assist the Maintenance Department in maintaining all the hardscape elements along The Greenway. The Greenway is a 17 acre linear park in the heart of Boston that is approximately half devoted to planted area and half to hardscape. The hardscape includes many different types of pavement and masonry walls, seven water features, a custom carousel, more than 250 lights, as well as many park benches and other park furnishings. This is an opportunity to join a dynamic, young organization and help to engage the public with a premier public space.
- The Maintenance Assistant (MA) shall:
- Assist the Maintenance Department in its daily operations in maintaining, repairing and cleaning all fountains, lighting and electrical equipment on the Greenway as well as for all Conservancy facilities, equipment and vehicles.
- Assist as needed any other maintenance and care of the Greenway parks including horticulture, vehicles and facilities.
- Assist the Maintenance team in supporting all other Conservancy departments in their efforts to provide Park visitors a safe and very high quality experience on The Greenway.
- Must be able to work safely in public parks and not endanger self or others.
- Assist Maintenance Department in all aspects of hardscape maintenance including fountains, lights and electrical, all types of masonry, site furnishings, snow removal, artworks and structures.
- Operate and maintain tools, equipment and vehicles in a safe and proper manner.
- Represent the Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy in a professional manner.
- Interact effectively with the Maintenance Department staff to communicate issues with various hardscape elements and assist with cleaning or repair tasks as they arise.
- Assist other Conservancy departments as needed.
- Perform other assigned duties as they relate to the operation and care of the parks.
- Assist in the safe and effective completion of tasks performed by interns and Volunteers.
Skills and Qualifications
Education and Experience
- Degree from a technical school preferred.
- Relevant education, work experience (two years minimum in building or landscape construction or maintenance) or apprenticeship may be acceptable.
- Experience in operation, care and maintenance of tools, vehicles, and equipment required for use by the Maintenance Department.
- Must have a valid US driver’s license in good standing.
- Possession of some or all of the following is a plus: hoisting license, Certified Pool/Spa Operator license, First Aid/CPR, OSHA 10, OSHA 30 certificate
- Must be able to work outside in all types of weather, kneel or stand for periods of time, and able to lift 100 pounds.
Knowledge and skills
- Possess strong organizational, technical and analytical skills, and contribute to a positive team environment.
- Strong attention to detail in all aspects of job performance.
- Ability to work independently when required in an effective manner.
- Willingness to learn and advance one’s skill sets.
- Strong mechanical aptitude pertaining to fountain equipment, lighting and electrical, plumbing and general HVAC.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and commitment to a positive public experience, and concern for the environment and people’s relationship to it.
- Masonry knowledge and skill is a plus.
- Broad based experience in building trades is a plus.
- Computer proficiency preferred.
- This is a full-time (5 days /40 hours per week), year-round, non-exempt position.
- The work schedule is typically Monday through Friday but may include some weekend and holiday work. Benefits are included.
- This position reports to the Director of Maintenance and Capital and the Maintenance and Construction Supervisor.
About The Greenway and the Greenway Conservancy
The Greenway is the contemporary public park in the heart of Boston. The Greenway welcomes millions of visitors annually to gather, play, unwind, and explore.
The Greenway Conservancy is the non-profit responsible for the management and care of The Greenway. The Conservancy has won numerous awards, including for our organic landscape care and park programming. The majority of the public park’s annual budget is generously provided by a range of private sources.
The Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression (including transgender) or any other characteristic protected by law.
Instructions to Apply:
in the subject line. Each file name should begin with applicant’s last name.
o one-page cover letter
o 3 references
● Successful candidate must provide references, agree to a background check and be able
to gain CORI certification.
● No phone calls, please.