The Greenway Conservancy is seeking a highly motivated and reliable individual for a full-time position as Senior Maintenance Technician . This position will assist the Maintenance Department in maintaining all the hardscape elements along The Greenway. The Greenway is a 17 acre linear park in the heart of Boston that is approximately half devoted to planted area and half to hardscape. The hardscape includes many different types of pavement and masonry walls, seven water features, a custom carousel, more than 250 lights, as well as many park benches and other park furnishings. This is an opportunity to join a dynamic, young organization and help to engage the public with a premier public space.
The Senior Maintenance Technician (SMT) shall:
- Lead the effort in the Maintenance Department in its daily operations in maintaining, repairing and cleaning all fountains, lighting and electrical equipment on the Greenway as well as for all Conservancy facilities, equipment and vehicles.
- Supervise a small crew on the Greenway in daily maintenance operations keeping staff motivated and productive.
- Lead in developing and implementing the overall safety policy for the Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy.
- Take on a lead role in monitoring the snow removal operation as it is performed by our sub-contractor.
- Assist as needed any other maintenance and care of the Greenway parks including horticulture, vehicles and facilities.
- Assist the Maintenance team in supporting all other Conservancy departments in their efforts to provide Park visitors a safe and very high quality experience on The Greenway.
- Work safely in public parks to not endanger self or others.
- Lead role in operating the seven water features on the Greenway while maintaining safe water quality at all times of operation.
- Leadership role in the Maintenance Department in maintenance and repair of all fountain, electrical, lighting, and electronic systems and equipment in the Greenway parks, facilities and vehicles.
- Lead role within the Conservancy in providing all departments with appropriate safety information and guidelines needed to conduct themselves in a safe manner and to protect the park-using public at all times.
- Be available to respond to fountain, electrical, lighting, winter weather and other emergency situations on the Greenway on an as-needed basis.
- Operate and maintain tools, equipment and vehicles in a safe and proper manner.
- Represent The Conservancy in a professional manner.
- Interact effectively with the Maintenance Department to communicate issues with various hardscape elements and assist with cleaning or repair tasks as they arise.
- Interact effectively with other Conservancy departments to work towards a common goal of providing the public with a premier public space.
- Perform other assigned duties as they relate to the operation and care of the parks.
- Degree from a technical school preferred.
- Relevant education, work experience or apprenticeship may be acceptable.
- Certified Pool & Spa Operator or willingness and ability to obtain certification.
- OSHA 30 hour training preferred.
- Hoisting license – 1C, 2A preferred
- First Aid/CPR certification preferred.
- Four year minimum work experience in building or landscape construction and/or maintenance.
- Lead operation and maintenance of fountains or swimming pools including programmable controllers preferred.
- Lead operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of advanced lighting systems including associated controllers preferred.
- Strong experience in operation, care and maintenance of tools, vehicles, and equipment required for use within the Maintenance Department.
- Effectively supervise a small crew.
- Must have a valid US driver’s license in good standing.
- Must be able to work outside in all types of weather, kneel or stand for periods of time, and able to lift 100 pounds.
Knowledge and skills
- Possess strong organizational, technical and analytical skills, and contributes to a positive team environment.
- Strong attention to detail in all aspects of job performance.
- Ability to work independently when required in an effective manner.
- Willingness to learn and advance one’s skill sets.
- Strong mechanical aptitude pertaining to fountain equipment, lighting and electrical, plumbing and general HVAC required.
- Computer proficiency in common office programs such as Microsoft Office, Gmail and Google Calendar is required.
- Strong understanding of and ability to troubleshoot problems with sophisticated lighting control and fountain control systems strongly preferred.
- Broad based experience in building trades is a plus.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and commitment to a positive public experience, and concern for the environment and people’s relationship to it.
This is a full-time (5 days /40 hours per week), permanent position, year-round, non-exempt position.
The work schedule is typically Monday through Friday but may include some weekend and holiday work.
Benefits are included.
The SMT position reports to the Director of Maintenance and Capital and the Maintenance and Construction Supervisor.
Instructions to Apply:
-one-page cover letter
Successful candidate must provide references, agree to a background check and be able to gain CORI certification.
No phone calls, please.