Performs general maintenance including, but not limited to, carpentry, flooring repairs, electrical, and plumbing that does not require a license, patching, painting, appliance repair, grounds work including snow removal, unit inspections, construction monitoring, room setups for events, and sheetrock repair. Conducts preventive maintenance routines for diagnostic tests and performs repair and equipment maintenance functions.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs general mechanical tasks including minor electrical, plumbing, heating and appliance repairs as assigned and allowed by local code in apartment units as well as common areas.
- Performs preventive maintenance and routine engineering checks in all mechanical and boiler rooms; maintains logs, work orders and other required documentation.
- Performs daily/weekly walkthroughs of entire building and grounds to observe, list and report areas in need of services and/or repairs, and performs services and/or repairs as scheduled or assigned.
- Prepares vacant apartments for new residents and refreshing apartment unit as needed; patches, paints, repairs, and/or replaces cabinets, countertops, fixtures, appliances, etc.
- Performs unit inspections, in tandem with Resident Service Teams, to ensure building/unit integrity, safety, and compliance to inspection mandates.
- Performs routine engineering checks in all mechanical and boiler rooms as scheduled or assigned, and maintains logs, work orders and other documentation as they relate to same.
- Time in/time out or other tracking system functions will be documented on all work orders.
- Maintains and supports the tracking of inventory control systems to ensure adequate supplies at all times.
- Completes materials requisitions according to JCHE standards.
- The requisitioning of materials will be done on standard JCHE requisition slips and be filled out neatly and completely. Mechanics portion is up to but not including the amount of the purchase. It will be submitted in timely fashion so as not to require immediate action.
- Responds to medical and fire emergencies along with Resident Services staff.
- Performs snow removal.
- Performs grounds maintenance duties, such as mowing, weeding, sweeping, and sanding.
- Performs light carpentry and interior/exterior painting.
- Ensures JCHE work practices are safe and in compliance with JCHE standards and government regulations at all times.
- Performs maintenance tasks required to maintain systems and aesthetics of building complex.
- Performs cleaning/janitorial duties when scheduled or assigned.
- Views employee bulletin board on a daily basis to remain abreast of regular posting of policies, schedules and company news pertaining to employees.
- Is responsible for proper dress, in JCHE uniforms, at all times.
- May provide evening, weekend and holiday emergency coverage by carrying an “emergency beeper” and /or cell phone as scheduled or assigned by his/her supervisor to provide emergency mechanical/technical services as required.
- Reports all unsafe practices observed to management to help ensure JCHE work practice are safe and in compliance with company standards.
- Provide evening, weekend and holiday emergency coverage for emergency mechanical/technical services that cannot be handled by Site Reps. (rotating responsibility with other team members)
- Provide weekend coverage on rotating basis for trash removal.
- Participates in organizational trainings/workshops as well as attending external training opportunities to keep skills updated and current or to learn new maintenance skills deemed necessary by your supervisor
May also perform one or more of the following functions:
- Conducts orientation for new and/or existing employees on maintenance tasks.
- Coordinate and/or set up rooms for meetings and activities – including tracking of all electronics including microphones, TVs, DVDs, etc.
- Cleans and performs other related janitorial duties, as requested.
- Patrols parking lot and tags unauthorized vehicles.
- Provides contractors and vendors with service access to mechanical areas and apartments, as needed.
- May rotate as building mechanic to other JCHE buildings, as assigned.
- Performs additional duties, as assigned.
PREPARATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- High School diploma. Post-secondary technical training preferred.
- Strong commitment and dedication to individual scheduling expectations and ensuring on time performance standards are met
- Knowledge of building trades, mechanics, and/or building maintenance.
- Knowledge of plumbing, heating, HVAC, and electrical systems.
- Must have at least two years of hands-on experience
- Strong problem solving skills, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Basic math skills preferred.
- Hoisting License preferred.
- Demonstrated customer service skills.
- Ability to make repairs not requiring a license.
- Ability to work with limited supervision and as part of team.
- Fluent in English.
- Proficiency in use of computers and computerized systems, including email, work order and record keeping systems.
- Comfortable working with older adults.
- Willingness to learn to work with high efficiency boilers and heating plants.
- Willingness to learn about basic operation of photovoltaic systems and co-generation systems preferred.
- Valid Massachusetts’ driver’s license.
- Must be able to safely use hand and power tools, etc.
- No supervisory responsibility.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Frequent standing and walking.
- Ability to frequently lift and/or move objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to safely use hand and power tools.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, climb, etc. Must have full use of arms, hands and finger dexterity to reach, lift, pull, push and feel.
- Ability to operate a Bobcat.
- Ability to work outdoors in winter conditions
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis
Instructions to Apply: