SUMMARY: Reading Public Schools is in search of Custodial Daily Substitutes to work on a per diem basis. The incumbent will keep the district’s buildings in such a state of operating excellence that they present no problems or interruptions to the educational program.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The essential functions or duties listed below are illustrations of the type of work that is performed and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for by this position. Other duties may be assigned.
- Cleans and preserves designated spaces, equipment etc. in the building.
- Assists visiting public utilizing the facilities with directions within building and in obtaining and setting up needed equipment.
- Opens building and performs building check. Make sure entrances are secure. (day shift)
- Maintains building and grounds security in the building each school day.
- Puts away milk and bread deliveries, as needed.
- Dry-mops and vacuums classrooms and offices in assigned area. Wet-mops same, as needed.
- Cleans and disinfects lavatories in assigned area.
- Re-stocks all paper towel, toilet paper and soap dispensers. Provides lead custodian with inventory usage and data.
- Cleans glass and dust in assigned area. Cleans, disinfects and polishes water fountains, as needed.
- Walks outside of building to pick up trash and sweep outside entrances, as needed.
- Sets-up cafeteria for lunches (day shift).
- Empties trash and sweeps cafeteria between lunches (day shift).
- Washes cafeteria and kitchen floors, as scheduled
- Empties trash in assigned area.
- Closes building and performs building check. Makes sure entrances are secure. (night shift)
- Removes snow at entrance ways and walkways. Spreads ice-melt and/or sand as needed to allow safe entrance and egress of students, staff and visitors to the building.
- During school and summer vacations, performs heavy cleaning of buildings, as directed by the Director of Facilities.
- Safely operates Town and School vehicles to travel between buildings. Observes legal and defensive driving practices while operating a Town or School vehicle.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Exercises no supervision.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. The Superintendent may waive or modify the qualification requirements.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to read and comprehend documents such as memos, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with town and school personnel, vendors, suppliers, contractors, and others.
- Ability to express ideas clearly in written and oral communication.
- Ability to perform duties with awareness of all district requirements and Board of Education policies.
Instructions to Apply:
Applications should be submitted electronically using the included link.