Under the general supervision of the Chief Engineer, the Steam Fireman performs all duties required to maintain and operate the College’s boilers, district steam systems and associated equipment.
Responsibilities of the Steam Fireman include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Operate all boilers, systems and associated equipment, including changing burners, taking on fuel deliveries, switching fuel oil tanks, cleaning strainers and performing water treatment testing as directed. Stand watch on assigned shift during the heating season and day shifts during the summer.
• Take and record data such as temperature, pressure and level. Determine if data is within operating range and take appropriate actions as necessary.
• Maintain all boilers, pumps, valves and other equipment in all condensate, feedwater, steam, fuel oil, natural gas and related systems. Ensure that all areas and equipment are kept clean and fully functional.
• Ensure that employees have a safe environment and are knowledgeable and properly trained in the use of equipment used in the Power Plant.
• Respond to emergencies, power failures or other plant upsets in a safe and efficient manner.
• Exercise sound judgment when using equipment and chemicals; follow and use approved safety standards and precautions.
• Operate College vehicles in a safe and reasonable manner.
• High school diploma, four years of trade school, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Massachusetts Second Class Firemen’s License.
• Valid driver’s license and a safe driving record.
• Ability to work overtime in emergency situations or when special events or projects are scheduled.
• Ability to organize and prioritize workload with minimal supervision to meet required deadlines.
• Ability to comprehend electrical blueprints and schematics.
• Ability to read, understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to work independently, resolve problems, and function as part of a team.
• Ability to work from ladders and staging without fear of height.
• Physically capable of lifting 50-80 lbs.
Wheaton College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
For more information and to apply, please visit link below.Job Link: